Sunday, May 30, 2010

Funny teaching moments

As the school year comes to a close, I've been reflecting on some of the funniest moments in my classroom. Here are the top 3. Enjoy!

3) Lately multi-tasking has been more challenging (thank you progesterone!)... so I have said some interesting things when I'm trying to think about what I'm teaching, read, grab a student's attention, and anticipate any confusion. Two weeks ago I was reading our novel and attempting to read "I cooked dinner for Grandma." Without realizing the switch, I emphatically read (I am quite the enthusiastic reader to maintain student interest), "I cooked Grandma for dinner!" My students LOVED that fopaux!

2) At the beginning of the year, an easily distracted student in the back of the room blurted something out to the guy next to him. I thought he was talking about his birthday, so I kindly reprimanded him, "Alright __, I am very happy for you, but I need you pay attention." He had this spastic, bewildered expression that made me question what exactly I was saying. I was about to go on teaching, when he shouted, "What??? I just said 'I think I have bio', and you said you're HAPPY for me??" Oops. I laughed and explained that I thought he was talking about his birthday, but I think I may have permanently confused him!

1) I LOVE watching a student when they go from the bored, aimless look to the quizzical, "bright idea" look. The teenage mind is a fascinating thing. Last year, in a bigger class with two teachers, I was able to watch one of the best "bright idea" moments I've ever seen. The student was clearly bored, then paused and pensively considered something for a while. Glancing down at his paper, I watched him turn it over and rub it. Then, he tore of the corner and shoved it in his mouth. Thoughtfully chewing for a moment, he then made an obvious "not too bad!" face and proceeded to shove the whole piece into his mouth. He sat there thoughtfully chewing the pencil-covered sheet for the rest of the period. I was working one-on-one with another student on the other side of the room, but I so wish I could have had an internal video recorder to replay that clip in my mind!

1 comment:

  1. Yay! So glad you joined the blogging world! You are already surpassing mine. :) I have checked out your Tutoring website and was really impressed and amazed. Great job with it. I know you probably don't need a lot of tutors since its just getting started but let me know when you do need more-I am definitely interested. Ezra was planning father-son bonding activities since he found out Cyrus was a boy too. He still keeps adding more activities. I am so excited for you guys! Can't wait to meet the little guy. GOod luck these last few days of school. Have fun saying "Goodbye". We should do something soon.

    ReplyDelete