Last Friday, my mom and sister arrived to help me organize my house, develop my online tutoring business, and hopefully take care of a baby. I quickly switched from fearing John would arrive too early to really hoping he would come soon! Mom and Jane were amazing helping organize neglected corners of our house and getting every detail ready for this baby. On Tuesday (22nd), we were finishing our house projects and Mom was encouraging every non-medical promoter of inducing labor. So I was pushing furniture, vacuuming, went on an hour-long power walk, completed the full hour of my prenatal yoga DVD, ate pineapple, ate spicy foods, and anything else I could think of.
Amazingly, at 3:00 AM, I thought my water broke. I didn't want to wake up everyone over a false alarm, so I paced around on the tile hoping to verify with some contractions. I was praying with all my heart, saying we were as ready as we could be, asking for help with my health, and asking for help being a good mom. My contractions starting picking up! I just got a new phone (I've entered the world of 3G!) and had found an app with a contractions timer, so I started timing each contraction. The app was awesome, reducing some of the stress of determining how often my contractions were and when to head to the hospital. I woke up Matt, showered, woke up my mom and sister, and headed to the hospital at 4:30. My contractions sped up very quickly; I was dilated to a 6 by 7:00, had the epidural at 7:30, and was dilated to a 10 by 8. John jumped out at 8:54! Really, he jumped out. In between contractions he was kicking like crazy. My doctor told me to stop pushing in the middle of one contraction, and out came John! I will never forget the power of the moment when they laid this healthy, huge, amazing baby on top of my stomach. Every second I am humbled to think our Heavenly Father trusts Matt and I with raising this child.
We recovered in the hospital for 24 hours, with Jane mastering all tech communication, Mom delighting in being a Grandma, and Matt and I adjusting to a world of no sleep :) Now we are home and I'm amazed at how easy it is for a day to fly by where all I want to do is hold and stare at this beautiful baby! He is healthy, I'm recovering well, and I am so grateful my mom is here to help take care of all functional details.
Thank you everyone for your love and support! This has been an amazing experience and I am so grateful our boy is here!
If you'd like to see more pictures, you can look at our web album: http://picasaweb.google.com/beccaalleman/JohnSterlingAlleman?authkey=Gv1sRgCIT0mr2zi-fT-AE#
He's got quite a bit of hair! What a cutie!
ReplyDeleteI love the duck towel! How cute! Congrats again Rebecca! We are so happy for you guys!
ReplyDeleteI am so glad he came so fast and easy!! Nice work. Congrats! I hope you and Matt are loving life with the new little one.
ReplyDeleteWow I am so glad the labor went so well. And he is just beautiful. You look great, and you have such a cute family! I can't wait to have our little boy just like you :) Thanks for posting the story and pics- keep it coming!
ReplyDeleteCongrats! Sam and I are so thrilled for you both. Please give that baby a squeeze for us and tell your lovely momma I say hello!! Hugs!
ReplyDeleteSo happy you posted your blog address on facebook because now I can keep up! Becca he is BEAUTIFUL and we are so happy for you! I can't believe you're a mommy! You have amazing women in your life to learn from so I know you'll be great. Keep posting pics of that cutie!! And, wow...labor sounded like a dream!! LOVE YOU!
ReplyDeleteIt sounds like everything went great! I can't believe all of that dark hair!
ReplyDeleteGlad I looked on your page and found your blog! Little John looks adorable. So happy things are going well! Our blog is christiejames@blogspot.com
ReplyDelete