Sunday, December 16, 2012

Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving was so much fun this year.  Hosting my first Thanksgiving meal, in addition to teaching the "Thanksgiving" lesson for preschool, resulted in me putting the Christmas music on hold and actually indulging in the November holiday.

The two highlights from the preschool lesson were a turkey dance that John performed daily (will post later) and these styrofoam/feather turkeys.  Sticking feathers into a ball was a doable fine motor task that definitely held their interest. And what a cute craft to hold on to!

The feast was initially intimidating until I broke down my plan in a word document (brain isn't so reliable these days), narrowed down the menu, found great recipes on Our Best Bites, and did most of the cooking on Wednesday.  It was so enjoyable to join forces with cousins Dave and Lizzy, who live in Darien, and Sarah and Ryan, who were visiting from Utah. I think what makes Thanksgiving special is gathering round a table with people you love and enjoy, so I was grateful to have wonderful cousins nearby to gather with.

The bird. 
 I think it's rather strange, but I was sure proud of how it turned out.

The spread.
With Lizzy and Sarah (and Ryan inspecting the Martinellis)

The walk after the gluttony.
We walked around Yale's campus and admired the stonework.  My favorite features may be the incredible arch doorways.
Dave, Lizzy, and Tillie Rose

The greatest miracle of all was Matt wasn't called in to the hospital and all children napped well, so we were able to enjoy an adults-only meal.  Once everyone was awake, John had fun with his cousin Finn.
Filling their "cornucopias" with candy corn

Overall, it was a wonderful holiday and opportunity to ponder all I have to be grateful for.





No comments:

Post a Comment